Communications and Outreach Coordinator
Status: Non-exempt Reports to: Communications Director
Location: Greater New Orleans Area
Salary: 40 hours per week at $42,500-$47,500 (depending on experience) plus generous benefit package (including healthy, vision and dental insurance, paid vacation and paid sick leave). One year contract position with possibility of extension if funding allows.
The Communications and Outreach Coordinator is part of a collaborative team working to raise awareness and support for Healthy Gulf’s work. The Communications and Outreach Coordinator will bolster Healthy Gulf’s program communication efforts in social media, earned media, and outreach. Utilizing creative approaches to action-oriented communication and outreach, the person will help build and grow our base of members, followers, and supporters.
- Produce organizational communications.
- Expand relationships with external constituents through communications, outreach and public relations.
- Increase Healthy Gulf’s digital visibility by curating and scheduling consistent, pertinent content as well as facilitating engagement with our online followers.
- Help Healthy Gulf attain more strategic earned media.
- Contribute to Healthy Gulf’s annual report, newsletters, website content, and other communications to members, donors, and the public.
- Provide support for workshops, conferences and special events.
- Maintain and improve donor databases.
- Manage volunteer outreach team.
- Work with the Executive Director, Communications Director, and Campaign Director to create and carry out a yearly plan for increasing membership.
- Creating and implementing a plan for renewing members and donors whose credit cards have lapsed and/or online donations have stopped processing;
- Writing fundraising appeals for direct mail or online giving to increase Healthy Gulf’s individual membership;
- Help plan and execute Healthy Gulf’s end of year giving campaign.
- Develop and support business partnerships, working to educate the public, provide informational materials, and support the fundraising activities of partner businesses.
- Organize and coordinate fundraising events.
- Entering and updating member information and tracking one-time gifts and monthly donors in our donor database, EveryAction – training in the use of EveryAction will be provided.
- A passion for the mission and values of Healthy Gulf.
- 1-3 years of experience in a communications role with a record of success.
- Attention to detail: triple checks information and doesn’t let small errors slide .
- A commitment to recognizing the ways that race and other identities (historically and presently) intersect in the environmental and justice movements.
- Ability to manage a high volume of work with efficiency by strategically prioritizing tasks to maximize time without sacrificing quality.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to help craft clear compelling messages that move people to take action, become a Healthy Gulf member, or donate.
- Experience working with membership/donor databases.
- High school diploma required.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish or English and Vietnamese.
- Bachelor degree in Marketing, Communications, Environmental Studies, or other related fields.
- A strong understanding of environmental justice and the importance of elevating leaders in affected communities of color.
- Ability to employ flexibility and creativity in the face of ambiguity and challenge.
- An understanding of Gulf South environmental issues.
To Apply, submit the following to email@example.com:
- A cover letter.
- A résumé.
- Answer the following question in 2 paragraphs or less: The effects of climate change disproportionately affect communities of color. In the Gulf South, how can we ensure equity and inclusion as we adapt to the changing physical landscape that climate change will present us with?
- 3 references
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Healthy Gulf’s purpose is to collaborate with and serve communities who love the Gulf of Mexico by providing the research, communications, and coalition-building tools needed to reverse the long pattern of over exploitation of the Gulf’s natural resources. We work at the intersection of environmental and justice issues in the Gulf South, acknowledging the disproportionate impact of environmental issues on Black, Hispanic and Indigenous peoples. Healthy Gulf has made a commitment to work toward racial equity and inclusion and to engage with our partners to support the interdependent needs of the Gulf’s environment and people in a rapidly changing climate.
We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, or national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.